Makes almost 3 small jars
- 500g blueberries (frozen or fresh). Frozen berries are much cheaper but they tend to be tart rather than sweet so increase sugar if necessary.
- 2-4 tbsp sugar/ sweetener (use less tbsp if using sweetener or add sugar at the end of cooking)
- 1tsp lime or lemon juice
- 1/2 cup of water
- Place all ingredients in saucepan and bring to boil.
- Lower heat to medium and reduce the mixture. It takes about 20-25 mins to boil down the liquid.
- Final texture of compote will be fairly watery. It will thicken once it cools.
- Place in jars and seal. It is not a jam so it will not keep like a jam (i.e. for months). Aim to finish in 1 – 2 weeks, else freeze it.
- Serve with greek style yoghurt (I promise you will not want to buy flavoured yoghurt again), muesli or on top on ice cream (shhhhhhh).