“This is the best damn almost-pie I have ever eaten.”Edacious One
Roasted Tomato and Mozzarella Galette
- 160g plain flour plus some extra
- 115g cold butter (cubed)
- 1 egg (70g) beaten and remove 3tsp of beaten egg for brushing pastry
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp of milk or water
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1.5 cups oven roasted tomatoes (cut 3 fresh tomatoes into slices and roast at 180°C for 30-40mins until soft)
- 1/4 cup ham
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 tsp thyme or parsley or any Italian herb mix
- 2 tbsp sugar (use only if making sweet galette)
- Rub butter into flour using fingertips until it resembles coarse/large crumbs (or use a food processor). Add sugar after this if making a sweet pastry. Mix well.
- Add beaten egg and salt and knead with hands to form a ball. If the dough is too wet, add 1/2tbsp of flour at a time until dough comes together in a smooth ball. Do not over knead.
- Flatten dough into a disc of approximately 6 inches in diameter, cover with cling wrap and refrigerate for 2hrs to overnight.
- Remove dough from fridge and let it warm on counter for 3 to 5mins. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 205°C
- Break disc into quarters and stack each quarter on top of one another and roll to 3mm (1/8 inch) thickness on a sheet of baking paper, shaping the jagged edges with your fingers as you roll
- Spread tomato paste on base of crust leaving a 1 inch border from the edge of the crust
- Top with tomatoes, mozzarella, ham and herbs or make up your own* (apples w/ cinnamon, blueberries etc)
- Fold border of crust over the top of the ingredients
- Brush with egg mixture (egg mixed with 1/2 tsp milk or water).
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 40 to 50mins @ 205C/400F.
- Remove from oven when pastry is a deep golden brown and leave on tray to rest for 10 minutes.
* If you are making a fruit galette, add 1 tbsp corn starch per cup of fruit